Sage College of Albany offers their BS in Information Technology and Cybersecurity fully online. The program trains students to be practitioners in the field of cybersecurity, and prepares students for successful careers as security analysts, intrusion detection specialists, cryptologists, cryptanalysts, vulnerability assessors, and related IT careers. Upon graduation, students will be able to recognize, address, and solve complex cybersecurity issues.
Both the certificate programs, and BS degree program in Information Technology & Cybersecurity, are designed to prepare students to sit for many professional cybersecurity certifications to include:
- Certified Wireless Network Professional
- Cisco Certifications
- DRI International
- EC-Council (Certified Ethical Hacker)
- Global Information Assurance Certification (GIAC)
- Information Assurance Certification Review Board
- International Information Systems Security Certification Consortium, Inc. (ISC²)
- Infotec Pro
- McAfee Institute
The BS in Information Technology and Cybersecurity offered through The Sage Colleges is unique among Cybersecurity academic programs as it is intentionally designed to have students first complete a comprehensive curriculum in information technology. This approach provides a solid foundation in data communications and networking, programming, operating systems, system administration, database design, systems integration and project management.
Students will then complete a specialization in cybersecurity that provides students the high-demand skills and knowledge needed to protect network infrastructures, secure electronic assets, prevent attacks, investigate cybercrimes, perform in-depth incident analysis and build secure infrastructures. With a Bachelor of Science in Information Technology from The Sage Colleges, you will be ready to partner with professionals in business, industry, government, and education to design and build cutting-edge cyber solutions to meet the security needs of companies worldwide.
Graduates will be able to:
- Perform security monitoring and assesses security vulnerabilities at all levels (software, hardware, networks).
- Perform an in-depth cybercrime investigation and digital forensics analysis.
- Perform incident analysis and craft cybersecurity implementation strategy.
- Design and configure secure systems that incorporate components related to hardware, software, operating system and systems configuration.
- Advance to graduate study in various information technology fields.
Core Requirements: (33 credits)
Specialization Requirements: (18 credits)
- HUM 112: Humanities and Language (3)
- Humanities electives (6)
- Social science electives (6)
- Science electives (BIO, CHM, PHY, SCI) (6)
- MAT 110 or higher (3)
- ITD 300-level (3)
- Technology competency (satisfied by a course in the major) (3)
- Experiential-based learning (satisfied by a course in major) (3)
*Students earning a Bachelor of Science degree must complete at least 60 credits in Liberal Arts coursework. This requirement is satisfied by a combination of transfer credits, general education coursework, and electives.
The School of Professional and Continuing Education (SPCE) offers rolling admission with start terms in fall, spring and summer. Applications are encouraged well in advance to allow ample time for transfer credit evaluations and financial aid planning.
Working directly with an admission counselor, we evaluate the amount of transferable credit and work experience you have. We strongly encourage you to be in good academic standing, have at least 40 completed college credits or have an associate degree.
How to Apply
Choose one of the following:
- Apply now online
- Request a paper application by calling (518) 292-8615 or emailing us at [email protected]
Students must submit:
- A completed application for admission
- An official transcript from each post-secondary institution attended since high school. To do this, complete and print the Official Transcript Request Form (located on the last page of this document) and fax it to 800-473-2512.
- A one- to two-page career goals essay
International students must submit additional information including WES transcript in order to be admitted.
- Download International Student Instructions (PDF)
- Download International Student Financial Statement (PDF)
Students can expect to receive an admission decision within two weeks after their admission file is considered complete. Students who have completed the admission procedures and gained acceptance to an undergraduate degree or certificate program will be classified as a matriculated student, are eligible for financial aid and will be assigned a faculty advisor.
Michael D. Weisberg has over 30 years of professional experience in the fields of Information Security, Information Technology, Computer Science, and Cybersecurity. He is Vice President for Information Security and Assurance Services at Garnet River. Mr. Weisberg’s responsibilities include managing and coordinating information security consulting practices, as well as building and enhancing SOC/CIRT facilities. Mr. Weisberg also promotes Owl Secure monitoring and compliance services, and speaks on a variety of Information Security and Assurance issues. As a Senior Enterprise Architect with Federal Reserve Information Technology Enterprise Architecture, he specialized in Information Security and Assurance. He was the Dedicated Architect to Bank Supervision and Regulation where he led the Security Road Mapping effort.
Michael joined the Federal Reserve in June of 2006 and provided leadership in multiple programs including Information Flow Control, Platform and Storage Virtualization, Security Road Mapping and Open Source Software Use. Prior to joining the Federal Reserve, Michael was the Principle Engineer for NYSTEC – a trusted agent consulting service to New York State government. He was Director of Technology Services for Rhythms NetConnections, a nationwide high speed networking provider. He served as Vice President of the Information Security Intrusion Analysis group, and Assistant Vice President of Advanced Technology at Bank of America.
Michael holds a Bachelor of Science degree from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. He is a Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), and is a trainer for Safe and Secure Online, an international organization educating school age children about safe and responsible Internet use.